The Dining Room | The Windsor Hotel
One of Colorado’s oldest hotels, the Windsor occupies nearly one half of a city block in the heart of Del Norte. Its construction started soon after the town was founded in 1871. The town of Del Norte was a booming mining and ranching center in the last quarter of the 1800s and on the shortlist for the capital of Colorado when Denver got the final nod. The Windsor became the main social and commercial center of the area and remained a regional gathering spot for over a hundred years.
The town prospered until the early 1970’s when the Windsor Hotel declined. The hotel went into major disrepair until a wrecking ball was literally waiting at the curb in 1993. The Windsor was saved from demolition at the last minute by a local benefactor and his wife, Doctor Raymond & Mrs. Barbara Culp, in 1993. The hotel lounge, Bistro BARbara, is named after Mrs. Culp in her honor. Over the past 18 years, several phases of stabilization have been successfully completed: a “turn-of-the-century” parlor, dining rooms, and a living history interpretive area were just the beginning. The Windsor now has 20 completely renovated rooms with all the modern luxuries. We invite you to share a part of Colorado’s history and enjoy all the hard work and labor that went into saving a building that many hope will save a town.