MT PISGAH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
The Mount Kokomo
Awesome Church in Kokomo Indiana serving 5 generations. A great focus on family, youth seasoned saints and college age adults. Lots of bible study classes for all ages. Phenomenal choir and people who love one another and God.
Loving, generations, family, bible study, fun, growing
In early 1924, the Rev. Frank Roy Hatcher, a young associate minister of New Bethel Baptist Church in Indianapolis came to visit his sister, Mrs. Luella Tyler. While visiting here, he found a lot of Baptist believers were not attending church in the neighborhood known as the Plate Glass Addition.
Rev. Hatcher organized a Sunday school at the home of Mr. Horace and Mrs. Birdie Johnson. Those attending were: Rev. Hatcher, Bernie (Johnson) Waddell, John Taller, and Gertrude (Talley) Tinder. They continued to meet in different homes in the community and in the spring of 1924, Rev. Hatcher, Brother Charlie Johnson, and Green Woods set out to buy a tent. They were not able to make the purchase price on the tent; but, Rev. Hatcher took out a loan from his place of employment, the Eli Lilly Company. When he was able to make a payment on the loan, the company told him it was a gift.
The State Moderate, Rev. W.Z. Thomas of Muncie, came and organized the church and the Rev. F.R. Hatcher was called in as the first Pastor. The Deacons of the church were: Thomas Hatcher, Chairman; Green Woods; Jerry Mays; Henry Palon, and Samuel Edwards.
The first revival was conducted in the tent by the Rev. G.K. Wilson. There were eight additions to the membership. The service was held in the tent until the winter set in, then Mr. and Mrs. G. Woods opened their home to these worshippers. Mt. Pisgah’s first Church Building was located in the “Plate Glass Addition” of Kokomo.