MAYTOWN FIRE DEPARTMENT
Gettin' It Done at the Maytown-East Donegal Township Fire Department
It was in March of 1916 that the wagon shop of H. P. Frank went up in smoke and the bucket brigade failed to stop the flames before they damaged the Reformed Church next door. Shortly afterwards a group of men met in Lewis Hartman’s barber shop and organized Maytown Volunteer Fire Company #1. A small hand-pumper was then purchased and a shed was built in the rear of the Band Hall to the house it.
The Company purchased a tract of ground on West High Street in June of 1925 and on November 16th, 1926, Maytown’s first firehouse was dedicated. The Company chartered with Lancaster County on June 26, 1926.
In May of 1963, the fire company purchased its first tanker truck. This additional piece of equipment taxed the capacity of the firehouse, which made it necessary to park apparatus outside. Thus the need for larger quarters became apparent.
A committee consisting of members of the fire company and businessmen from town, presented their problem to the township supervisors. After many years discussions these gentlemen agreed to pay for the erection of a new firehouse and the land upon which it would be built if the voters of East Donegal Township would agree. A “yes” vote was recorded in November, 1963. At that time the township supervisors became part of the building committee. The Land was purchased from Frank Singer, and the current firehouse at 160. East High St was completed in March, 1965.
Maytown Fire Company continued to grow and in 1992 the membership voted to renew the charter in name only, changing the name to Maytown-East Donegal Township Fire Department. In 1998 the department the department became fully funded by the taxpayers of East Donegal Township. The Department is still 100% volunteer and is always looking for residents are willing to answer the call to service.