JUNIOR LEAGUE OF THE ORANGES AND SHORT HILLS
Fill The Need Initiative
The Junior League of the Oranges and Short Hills is focused on addressing the basic needs of low-income children, pre-K through 8th grade in our service area. Our community service work is dedicated to closing the gap on food insecurity, essential clothing needs, school supply gaps, and hygiene needs of school-aged children living in poverty. We believe that when these basic needs are met with the necessary supplies and educational resources, that low-income child can focus their energy on succeeding in school.
Our Work in the Community
JLOSH serves the communities of East Orange, Livingston, Maplewood, Millburn, Orange, Short Hills, South Orange, Springfield, and West Orange. We have adopted an issue-based community impact model, in which a broad social problem is identified, and specific aspects of that problem are collectively agreed upon as targets for change. Strategies and tactics to effect change are selected
based on their potential to produce measurable outcomes.
JLOSH is committed to improving the lives of women and children in our service area. Our current issue is children in need, and our focus is improving access to essential items and resources to improve the health and wellness of school-aged children in need. We are in the process of piloting various strategies to create a measurable impact on this focus.
- Our ability to improve the communities we serve by our direct action
- The friendships we share with one another and in the community
- Creative problem-solving through taking risks
- Opportunities for training, to increase our effectiveness as leaders and volunteers
- Diverse perspectives in the pursuit of our goals
- The importance of a satisfied and energetic membership that functions as a team